Thursday 2 January 2014

at the bottom of the ocean

(c) 2013-2014 'Safira B'

were you f o o l i s h enough to think
that i would be beautiful
when you broke me?

        did you think that i would
        break cleanly? that there would
        be no jagged edges
        screaming for your blood?

                did you think that your
                mocking laughter would slice
                my brown skin into thin slivers
                without me twining myself
                into a noose for you?

                        did you think you could
                        make me trace the footsteps
                        of my ancestors; bathe myself
                        in gasoline and light the match
                        with your name on my cracked lips?

your eyes are not the ocean
and i will not drown

No comments:

Post a Comment